Sunday, July 11, 2010

1924 Postcard with Fort Snelling MN Connection Major Geo A Sanford

1924 at Fort Snelling
Blog Post by Mary Katherine May

It is pretty obvious that most people would not collect this postcard for its appearance. Creases with cracks, soil, ruffling, edgewear... and St. Mark's Episcopal Church from Loring Park in Minneapolis, Minn. is hardly a rare view.

What I find interesting, as I always do, is the brief message on the back. The message on this card is a bit longer--tightly fitted words written with a fountain pen that either had surges in the flow of ink, or else the paper of the postcard absorbed the ink each time even the briefest of pauses occurred.


Postmark: St. Paul, Minn., March 18, 1924, 10:30 AM
Written: March 14th, 1924, at Fort Snelling, Minn.

There really is no Fort Snelling, Minnesota, although when first erected and used, at one time the furthermost outpost, it might have seemed such--way back when...

Addressed to:
Mrs. Arthur Lafferty
Lake City Minnesota
R R

Fort Snelling Minnesota
Care of Major Geo. A. Sanford
Come to St. Paul
Write to Us

My dear niece and family...
The Message
My dear niece and family


Just a card to let you know that I am here with my son George and family. I expect to go to Amarillo, Texas to visit Grace &and her family the last part of this month. He would like to have make us a visit before I if you can. George and Veta(?) join me in love and best-wishes--with love to all of you--from Aunt Mary Sanford.

Mary and Rick may own Quality Music and Books, an online Book, Music and Gift webstore, based in Minneapolis, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment