Tuesday, July 20, 2010

WWII Postcard Dr Karl Moore Brownwood TX Thanked for Prayer by Mrs T R Havins




Thomas Robert Havins
Mrs. T. R. Havins (Mottie - Thomas Robert's first wife)
Dr. Karl H. Moore
First Baptist Church
Brownwood Texas
World War II WWII

Article by Mary Katherine May
of Quality Music and Books

World War II was personal. Pearl Harbor, like the tragedy of 9/11 was personal. Men and women signed up to serve, many didn't wait for the draft to be called to the military, and all knew what could be their outcome. Everyone was involved in the war effort. From Victory Gardens to saving scraps and women joining the work force, WWII was an event that changed the "fabric of our nation."

One man who served was Thomas Robert Havins (T R Havins), coming out of Texas. He would play a prominent roll in his state, living a life that involved public service. This postcard example is a 1-cent prepaid blank sent by Mrs. T. R. Havins to Dr. Karl H. Moore, thanking him for praying for her "boys" and all who were in the military.


Also of interest is the number of POWs interned in Texas, and in particular in Brownwood, Texas during World War II. There is very interesting detailed information about Camp Bowie that by may be accessed by clicking HERE.

Today, we are again praying for those who place themselves in harms way. It is a sad reality.

Postmark (front): MAR 26, 6:30 PM, 1943, Brownwood Texas
Postmark (back): Is in exact reverse. How does this happen? I would like to know.


Addressed to:
Dr. Karl H. Moore,Pastor First Babtist Church (sp)
Brownwood, Tex


Message: Mar. 26-1943


Dear Dr. Moore:-I want to express my appreciation for the Church Bulletin of Mar. 14. I am so happy to know that my boys name is on your Church Roll, and that you are interested in him as well as all the other boys of your church, who are in the armed forces. I will deeply appreciate your prayers for him.
Sincerely,
Mrs. T. R. Havins

2 comments:

  1. This postcard was written by my great grandmother. So interesting to come upon it on the Internet! Would you mind sharing where you found it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure why I was not notified of your comment as I should have been but am posting this very belated in hopes that you still might receive it. Thank you for posting this comment. I am as appreciative now as I would have been five years ago. I cannot say where I found it because I look for postcards wherever I go.

      Delete