Friday, November 21, 2014

Jesse James Centenary Numbered Mourning Cover 1982

Jesse James Centenary Mourning Cover
Numbered 232/500
Jesse James Centenary April 3 1982
Postal Cachet
Created by Richard T. Crowe
Numbered 232/500

This blogpost article by Mary Katherine May of QualityMusicandBooks.com

Because of my interest in mourning covers at some point in time I acquired the cachet shown here issued as a commemorative in a numbered quantity by Richard T. Crowe. The cover I have is number 232 of 500.

It seems a little odd to me, however, that since I am ready to sell it, I cannot find another on the internet for sale which poses a problem for me since I have nothing to upon which to base my price.  Generally speaking, this is not a necessarily unusual except that the field of postal cachets in not my field of expertise. I collect, but not in great numbers or great prices.

Jesse James Centenary Cachet Postmarked April 3, 1982 in Saint Joseph, Missouri
Artist: Richard T. Crowe
Stamped [Signed] by Richard T. Crowe
Limited Numbered Cachet: 232/500


Jesse James fascinates many Americans, as he evidently did Richard Crowe.  The cachet itself has the marks of being done well but not perfectly.  Though the Remington stamp appears square to the eye, the 2 cent stamp does not. Looking not too carefully at the black mourning border, it looks to possibly have been marked by hand because of the uneven color and spots outside the border.

Posted on April 3, 1982, in Saint Joseph, Missouri, the stamp mark is clear, large, and readable.  The quotes and remarks tell us the sentiment of Crowe toward James, calling him the American Robin Hood, and that he stole from the rich to give to the poor.

Most likely the creator of this Jesse James centenary mourning cover was Richard T. Crowe of Chicago, Illinois, who was known for leading ghost tours in his city.  Crowe also was a deltiologist or postcard collector who had a special interest in the Old West. It is reported that he names his cats Jesse and Frank after the James' brothers.

Link to Chicago Sun Times article about Richard T. Crowe on the even of his death.

No comments:

Post a Comment