Wednesday, August 15, 2012

1937 Bjork Letter PostCard Talk

PostCard Talk
Presented by Mary Katherine May
of QualityMusicandBooks.com

The second letter I present here before returning to postcards originated in Sweden.  I found it in an old Bible that came to me along with a few other books.  In another instance, in a group of books given to me by a friend, I found a letter from her deceased husband--which, of course, I returned to her.  For this reason, I recommend when asked to either purchase or accept books my recommendation that people leaf through them before showing them to me.

This letter was written in 1937, with all but a few lines the Swedish language.  We might assume reasonably that the recipient was located in the United States of America since here is where the Bible is located, in the state of Minnesota.  Unfortunately, because of my lack of Swedish language knowledge, my translation performed through Google Translate is at the worst extremely rough and at best somewhat close to what is literally present.

There is a sadness here for the separation that appears to have been complete for quite some time.  The author may have been in mourning or been in a depression, but still the writing implies a loneliness and sorrow over the fact that family communication is broken.  The recipient is not a distant relative, but an uncle.  There are separations among family members which occur that are not of our own choosing, and learning how to deal with them can be stressful and long time process.

The last line of the letter, written in broken English, really sums up the tone of the letter. I never will forget your girl and all of your other children.

Sollerön March 15 1937

Dear Uncle and Relatives….!

It is now a long time since we heard anything from me, maybe even a long time since you heard anything from that place where you have grown up and lived until your young sentencing days. I probably would have written for, but it's so hard not to believe that you are forgotten by us here on the island though it nests so watch out, after which I have not written to you in such a long time. Here it is now, as in other basins, new genera come to, and the old shall, mulling, down behind were old church, where we all a bunch of locals will end up. So I receive hereby tell of for you, that your sister, my mother,  now in these days have stopped his lifetime, So I may conclude with these simple rows announce you the sad nyket [news?], even is my father very sick, so we believe that even can die when sooner, the better. They have lived the sum man over 71 years, mother would turn 92 years on March 17,  mother ended their March 11, 1937.  Peace to her memory.

My father in law, parents, and so live still further, my father in law of Daniel Marten Jönsson has filled its 90 years, even my mother in law is on the 85th. But they, however, is healthy and well.

As you can see, you are now the only remaining of your Syrkon, for now, as I hope, these lines meet you in good health and cheerful mood, I do not know someone, address mi to Mrs. Annie Viberg, have not heard anything from them for years, so on you will be hard address, if you wanted to be nice and tell them that their aunt is now dead.

I will send your oll may bast gretings hops you soon wrieth to me.
I will send you all my best greetings.  Hope you will soon write to me.

I neaver forget your girl and your all oader cildrings.
I never [will] forget your girl and all [of] your other children.

Write once [soon?]
P. Bjork
Sollerön [Sweden]





No comments:

Post a Comment